Tuesday, December 1

Eating Habits

More and more, I'm moving towards a vegetarian diet. Part of it is because I'm trying to eat healthier but I think a lot of it has to do with all the reading I've done . Michael Pollan's book " In Defense of Food" which I blogged about, was a big influence on how I look at the food we eat. His previous book, "The Omnivore's Dilemma" dealt with how the food we eat gets to the table. I couldn't read the chapter on beef and chicken because I knew what was in there and I knew after reading it, I would have a hard time enjoying eating meat....and I wasn't ready to give it up.
A New Book by Jonathan Safran Foer
is Eating Animals. Foer, author of the acclaimed novels Everything Is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, uncovers some ugly truths about America's meat production system, but he also weaves in stories from his own family historyand shows how stories can shape our diets. While others have argued for reforming our system of factory farms, Foer argues for much more radical change:giving up meat. So, I think I am going to read the book.....soon.


No comments: