Monday, November 23

Cravings? What cravings?

I'm finding this new plan I am on is not as difficult as I thought it would be. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with all the research and reading I had done about nutrition and what is in the stuff that passes for food these days.
The great side affect of not eating any processed foods or sugar is that after a week or so, you just don't want it! This is proven to me every time I see a food that I formerly could not resist. Just last night, I was at a friend's house and she put out potato chips. Now, I was a chip fiend for years. I could not resist and I definitely couldn't eat just one! I craved salt and all the fatty yumminess. But, I had absolutely no desire to have any. It wasn't that I knew I shouldn't or used great will power....I just didn't want any. That's the thing about food cravings....if you stop eating the stuff, your body stops physically wanting it. I bet you thought it was all in your brain when you crave chocolate or chips or fatty foods, but it's not in your mind, it's a physical craving.
So, if you think you could never give up the junk because you love it so much and would feel deprived...that lasts about 2 weeks. If you can go 2 weeks without that junk, you'll find that you don't even want it. I am proof of that. I see the changes every day. I used to almost get a high after eating ( several pieces of) chocolate. Food is no longer an emotional fix for me....I'm not drawn to food to satisfy cravings, it's just the fuel for my body.....and my body is worth ultra premium fuel. And because I love to cook, I am using that energy to cook good tasting, flavorful, nutritious food. I'll have an occasional piece of really good chocolate and one piece is all I want, as a treat to enjoy, not a need to fulfill.
The plan I am on is also a weight loss plan and I've lost about 5 lbs in 3 weeks and quite a few inches too. But, I'll be following the same guidelines even when it's time to just maintain a good weight....in other words, for the rest of my life, and I'm taking the steps to make it a long and healthy one.
I feel so empowered to take charge of my own health. I apologize to my body for all those years of food abuse and I thank it for bouncing back so well.

No comments: