Friday, August 28

Back from vacation!

our view from the Lake House

I had a great visit with my son, his fiance and her parents. It was way too short, just three days! After they left, we went up to Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and stayed at a lovely house right on the lake, courtesy of my other son's girlfriend's parents. It was beautiful and relaxing and the weather was perfect! We only stayed a couple of days...and now it's back to reality!
So, it's Friday, and that means weigh in day for me! Now, while I had company and while I was away, I didn't count calories, I didn't do any exercise routines....and I lost a pound! Go figure!
But, looking back, I see that I didn't indulge in the usual vacation gluttony. That can be directly attributed to my gluten free diet. It is pretty limiting, especially when eating out. At the sports bar when everyone else had the typical, fattening, not good for you ( but yummy!) bar food, the only thing I could eat from the menu was a salad with grilled chicken. At the nice restaurant we went to, I don't eat the bread that looked so delicious, or pasta or anything breaded or anything with sauce since I can't guarantee it's gluten free....so roasted chicken and veggies for me! ( and it was absolutely the best I've ever had!) In NH, at a nice Italian restaurant, I just about swooned when she said they had a chocolate ganache FLOURLESS cake! So, hubby and I shared a piece that came with a tablespoon of vanilla ice cream, just the right amount!
Having been on the gluten free "lifestyle" ( as it's called) for a few years, I don't feel deprived and I really don't get cravings for the stuff I'm not supposed to eat. Sometimes, it's a challenge to find something safe on a menu, but I usually can fall back to a salad if I have to. Most snacks are off limits too.
So, you would think I would be kind of slim since I don't ever eat anything with flour or sauces...baked goodies, bread, pasta, crackers, cookies, etc. I must have the world's slowest metabolism, I guess!
But, today it's back to my routine and counting calories. I still haven't broken that 5-6 lb mark that I've been juggling for 3 years, so I'm determined to do that this week!

Tip of the Day

Speaking of gluten, I just read a new book on the subject that has all the latest research and explains it very well. It's called "The Gluten Effect".
If you or someone you know suffers from any kind of autoimmune diseaase, I strongly suggest that you read the book. It proves through recent research that as many as 5 out of ten people are gluten sensitive and only one in ten are celiacs. Most doctors think celiac disease is the only way that gluten intolerance manifests itself. That is not true. I never had celiac disease. I had arthritis, psoriasis, depression, brain fog and chronic fatigue. I stopped eating foods with gluten and in three weeks I was a new person. The book is less than 12 bucks and it may change your life. And...get this.....One of the symptoms of gluten sensitivity is weight gain and difficulty in losing weight. The book goes into great detail explaining how this is caused my your adrenal glands being stressed by fighting the gluten proteins that are toxic to people who are sensitive to it. Even though I have been researching gluten sensitivity for several years for myself, this book gave me all the info I needed in one place to give me a new resolve to be very very strict in keeping gluten out of my body! Here is a link to the blog of the doctors who wrote the book.
The Gluten Doctors. Go through the archives and you may start to see a connection to your own health problems.
If only one person reads this and is helped and then spreads the word, we can do for ourselves what our uninformed medical doctors can't or won't. I do believe that every year, more doctors will become aware and will help to make a healthier world. Until then, advocate for yourself!
Google searches for "gluten free" will bring up tons of info to keep you busy for a while.

Hey, now even Starbuck's is getting on board and offering a gluten free orange cake...and it's not a crappy cake, it's made with whole ingredients!

No comments: